Applying for Costa Rica Residency

If you plan to live in Costa Rica, you should consider applying for residence. There are several categories available. The most popular for retirees is Pensionado. Those seeking a Pensionado visa needs to prove a minimum income of $1,000 per month from a qualified pension or retirement account or from Social Security.

Another category for those not ready for retirement is rentista. Rentisa visa holders have to show income of $2,500 per month for at least two years, guaranteed by a banking institution or make a deposit of $60,000 in an approved Costa Rican bank.

In both cases, one spouse applies and meets the requirements and the other is covered as a dependent.

If you’re considering seeking residence in Costa Rica, the process is relatively straightforward. But getting the help of an in-country attorney will help things go smoothly, especially if you don’t speak Spanish.

Marcela Marin S., Immigration Experts
Ph.: (506) 2290.8050 / 2290.2794 – Fax: (506) 2290.8055